Last week was a doozy. Since my MO as of late has been to just write a weekly sum-up of my weekends, I'm going to shake it up a little and divide everything into little sections rather than presenting a chronological narrative.
Health:
Because of that ruptured cyst, I had no appetite and didn't eat until Wednesday night and had a lot of trouble getting comfortable enough to sleep. I was fine most of the time, but had some pain return when I move around too much or too quickly. I've been taking it super easy during dance, but even climbing the stairs to get to class took a lot out of me. I'm still experiencing shoulder pain [this seems unusual, but it's not uncommon for persons with blood in their abdominal cavity the way I did; there's a nerve in the diaphragm that connects to the shoulders] when my ab muscles are engaged from laughing or coughing.
I have an appointment with campus health services for Friday and still have plenty of pain meds. I'm feeling generally positive about my recovery. Plus, I can probably get an Rx to go back on the pill and use my Mom's insurance to actually be able to afford it, since I've heard that it helps with cysts and whatnot. I'm not super close with my Mommy, so I'd much rather have her think I need it for that rather than have her think that I'm excited about not freaking out if a condom breaks.
School:
I had been planning on getting a lot of work done on Sunday, but instead had to stay up all night on Tuesday to write a 10-page paper that I'm pretty sure I missed the mark on. I'm very behind on my project for my sculpture class in that I haven't started it yet. I have a midterm on Tuesday and need to start working on a paper proposal for Friday.
This would all be made much easier if I a) could get to sleep at a normal hour. b) had done any work for any of my classes earlier in the semester. c) honestly gave a crap.
Buddies:
One of the girls I live with has been getting on all of our nerves lately. She's outright mean to two of our roommates, and she's very rude to me. She also is the only girl who consistently leaves dirty pots on the stove/piles of dishes in the sink/plates of food uncovered that the cats eat then puke all over the place. Not to mention all the generally dumb things she does like spilling nail polish on one table and leaving an open bottle of nail polish remover on the edge of another table. She's not receptive to any critique or criticism; she gets hugely defensive when you try to talk to her about anything she's doing wrong. Our guy friends say that she's "lucky she's pretty" but that doesn't really do much for those of us who don't want to sleep with her. Any thoughts on what we can do with her?
I've also had problems lately with the girls borrowing my things without asking. I'm always ready to loan any of them anything of mine if they need it and ask me, but when I can't find my headphones because they're stuffed in the bottom of someone's dance bag or my bottles of soda get used up as mixers or chasers when I'm not home I get [justifiably] upset.
On a lighter note, we've figured out what we're doing for Halloween. The 5 of us who live together are going to be people from Peter Pan. SH is going to be Peter, JB is Tink, my roomie has Wendy, the girl I discussed above is Mr. Smee, and they decided I should be Captain Hook. I'm honestly a little offended about it, because their reasoning for me to be Hook is "cuz you have the hair." Um, yeah. Given that I hated my curls for 19 years and currently spend more time and money on making my head look nice than any of my roommates combined, that's definitely not something I want to hear. Still, at least I get to wear pants and have several weapons on Halloween, which is not something that many girls my age can boast about.
Boys:
Nothing new here, really. The Blond and I did our traditional "what are your plans for later?" texts on Friday that culminated in nothing since we both got high and passed out in our own beds. F never called me. I wasn't really expecting him to, but it would have been nice of him to at least ask what happened that made me turn into a curled up ball of pain.
I've also been getting secretly weird about one of my guy friends ["He'd be perfect for me, but I don't see him that way, really"] but those are feelings that have been coming and going since out Freshman year.
Misc:
Saw Paranormal Activity. It wasn't as scary as I hoped it would be.
I won a "Gancy" a while ago. Very proud of myself.
Relationships:
I was watching Tool Academy tonight with a couple girls and made the offhand comment that JB should go on it with her 5-year-on-off boyfriend. The other girls in the room aww-ed and asked me what it was that he'd done that was so bad; I guess cheating, lying, and emotional manipulation aren't douchebag behaviors. But then, as they pointed out, I've never had a real boyfriend, so what would I know?
I've never been in a relationship, sure, but I know that you shouldn't inflict pain on people you claim to care about. I know that if someone incessantly treats me in a way that I find inappropriate, I should remove myself from that relationship. I know that you can't change people; people can only change themselves. I know that I'll be waiting forever if I expect men to be perfect. I know that, despite my growing more and more discontent with the hook-up scene, my lifestyle and schedule aren't conducive to a relationship, but I don't know if I'm willing to change my ways at this point in my life.
What I'm getting at is this: Am I completely crazy for being unwilling to sacrifice my emotional well-being for a relationship?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I think part of relationships definitely involve sacrifice, but not emotional well-being. If a relationship detracts from that it's not a very good one.
Ha, all the wonderful things you can't tell your mom about. Does she know about the cyst?
mnwhr: i am willing to sacrifice a lot of things [time, energy, vulnerability], but you'll pry my self-esteem and mental stability from my cold dead fingers.
tf: yes, she knows: i called home when i was coming back from the hospital. and now if i get the rx im going to call and say that they said it would help prevent them, regardless of if that's true or not, yayy
Post a Comment