Memorial Day is a big deal for my family. We're far-flung enough that we're only all together 3, maybe 4 times a year and Mem Day is always a Friday-Sunday ordeal at my house.
Friday night my favorite cousin came down with her mom and we all sat around knocking back beers and chatting.
Saturday morning I had to go to work and when I got home that afternoon I had a house full of cousins. We tapped the keg at 4 and everyone ages 19 and up was sauced by 5. 9 pizzas were ordered and devoured at dinnertime after several rousing rounds of beerpong that even my Mom and grandfather took part in. Pong went until probably 1am when people couldn't quite stand up straight and we passed out around the house.
Sunday was the big show. The college kids gathered back at the house around brunch and we tapped the new keg and decided to play wiffleball in the park next to the house. After the game, 15 pounds of Italian sausage and 10 pounds of chicken were thrown on the grill and the dining room table was covered with various picnic-y food. We were sucking back brews starting at breakfast and the college kids were having a blast. We were most likely making fools of ourselves in front of our aunts and godfathers, but it was a good day. Sunday night we set up some more pong on the porch. I was feeling more than tipsy at this point but figured I'd be alright since I wasn't about to be playing. Then, coming through the kitchen on a bathroom break I saw my Mom take out the Absolut. I made myself a too-strong drink [my measurement judgment was thrown off by the day's beers] and tottered back out the porch. I got wrangled into a round of pong by one of my brother's friends and performed terribly. I accepted defeat and went back inside. I decided to play nice with my 12-year-old cousin and took her up to my room and gave her a bunch of hand-me-down clothes [some of which I wouldn't have parted with had I not been shwasted, but, hey, she looked cute].
Some point after this I passed out on my bed halfway changed into my pjs. I woke up the next day with massive hangover-nausea and spent most of the day assuming the position over the toilet. My parents have thus far been surprisingly ok with the fact that their baby got out of hand, but then again this just ties the score with my brother for puking in front of the family. I can't even imagine what's going to happen next year.
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
aside from the toilet-hugging, I am extremely jealous of your holiday weekend. far better than mine...your family sounds like a riot. because they are. especially dad. and your brother's friends...especially one in particular. but he's more gross than a riot.
It appears our families are very similar! Glad you enjoyed the holiday weekend
Memorial day should be spent with family. And college kids drink too much - no guilt, as long as you weren't driving.
oh, i love your family.
I already love your family! hahaha introduce me!
This sounds like a redic glorious time!
ta: that friend of my brother's has a gf now! but she wasn't around so he was as ooh as usual
mnwhr: i look forward to memorial day more than christmas
blackdog: one of my brother's friends made a grand gesture by giving my dad his car key, and then losing the rest of his keys in the backyard
amy: they're really a riot when i take a step back and get the big picture
pink: lol come on up and you can meet them!
Post a Comment