Monday, August 15, 2011

Two Sides

I really, really dislike my job. It's not a very original sentiment, but my job is far and away the biggest source of stress in my life. I fantasize almost every morning about just shutting my phone off and never going back there again.
I'm pretty severely anxious that I'm going to get fired like, tomorrow. It seems that I'm always getting chastised for BULLSHIT while there are girls doing things that I disagree with (leaving the classroom, being on their phone all day, showing up late consistently, etc) that never seem to get any grief. Also, I'm in line to get that $500 and my boss is absolutely the type to fire someone to avoid giving them money. I mean, I think I am technically still an assistant. Why would she give me $500 and a raise (though I am assuming she will point out that she is already paying me more than the "minimum teacher wages" listed in the employee handbook) when she could fire me and get another assistant to work for under $9/hr.

My 1-year at this stinkin' place is coming up next week. Stay tuned for the joyous or alternatively rage-filled post of redemption or alternatively rage.

Here are ten good things that have happened since the last time I posted:
1- The eM and I booked our flights and hotel for an end of August trip to DC.

2- I bought a class card for a wicked nice dance/fitness studio near my house. I'm considering getting a membership there, but I have to take a few more classes to finalize my plans. It's a gorgeous space and they seem to have exactly the type of class that I've been looking for (multiple skill levels ok, people other than me who SHOW UP regularly, community "studio" atmosphere). It's a little pricey but it's worth it if I'm excited about it.

3- Roomie bought a countertop deep fryer.

4- Roomie works at Macy in the Rachel Rachel Roy section. A month or so ago, I visited her at work and tried on a million dresses. I like the label, but it's out of my price range. One of the things I tried on was this ridiculously cute little white dress with a black hash-mark print. It was about $80 at the time, so I told her to keep an eye on it for me. Not only did she remember the dress and size I wanted, she found out about a sale going on in a couple weekends and put the dress on hold for me. With the sale, a bonus coupon, and her employee discount, it's going to be about $35. I'm pumped.

5- I watched a totally cute older movie. Apparently nobody on imdb liked it, but I did.

6- Bro sent me his old phone (the same exact phone I had, but his still works well), so now I have a phone that doesn't shut off if I slide it open it too fast/has fully-functional 3 and 6 keys/with a consistently working screen.

7- Peanut-Butter and Jelly Pie. Also, Chocolate-Chip Banana Bread Muffins, Spicy/Cajun Chicken Breakfast Burritos, Mac-N-Cheese with Broccoli...Basically I'm good in the kitchen.

8. I bought sweet new knives at BJ's. The eM sharpened them up for me. They look kind of like these and are completely awesome. I'm keeping them in my little area of the pantry. They are for ME to use and everyone else to be jealous of.

9. I was a total girl and found a really awesome website for wedding dress ideas...You know you want to look...(This in champagne with hidden zipper w/ functional buttons and no sash + lace cap sleeves - train = what I want to wear when I get married. Le sigh)

10. The eM and I have gotten into the habit of watching Wilfred on hulu every Saturday. I doubt it'll last more than another season, if that [or if it does, the quality is sure to decline], but for now it's really excellent. If you haven't been watching it, you should.

3 comments:

Ang said...

damn, so much to comment on...
First, I hope you don't get fired - like deeply hope you don't. Your boss sounds like a cunt.
DC is amazing - have a fricken blast and do lots~
Have fun cleaning up after that countertop deep fryer... :/
Cannot wait to see the dress!!
Wedding dresses, eh? Are we getting THAT serious with the boy? It's a damn beautiful dress though!

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Sorry about the job woes. Maybe the best way to do things is to continue being professional and doing what's right, and hopefully clearer heads will prevail.

As for the wedding dress shopping, does your BF read this blog?

JerseySjov said...

ang- she's pretty awful. i don't think i'll mind the fryer since i almost bought one myself a couple weeks ago. haha, don't even pretend that you don't know what kind of wedding dress you'd like to wear!!

dr ken- i try to do things right, i really do, but it's difficult to tell what's what when nobody there is consistent in their behavior with little to no consequence. also, no, he doesn't read it, ha!